Sunday 29 September 2013

Messy 2.5


I really wanted to test the oil pastels on some character animation. I had a feeling that the strength of oil pastels as a medium for animation lay in how they would respond to movement. My last test, where I scratched away at the pastels, was entirely missing that component and I knew it was not the direction I wanted to proceed with.

Materials:
Large sheet of acetate
Oil Pastels
Felt and coloured sheets of paper

I also played around with back lighting the piece this time. I have 2 test shots below. The first one is with the back lighting and the second is just top lit. The oil pastel colours pop a lot more without the light from beneath but I like the back lighting more because it creates depth.



Colour theory came in really handy for the lighting portion of this piece - I was working with blue lights so I neutralised them with an orange paper covering and it worked great! I also put a layer of felt really close to the surface of the animation and the textured background added a lot to the look of everything.

This experiment has me thinking about a lot of new animation ideas. Animating with light would be a fascinating endeavour at some point in the near future. I also need to stop working on acetate (it doesn't hold the colour very well) so I'm going to run another test with the oil pastels on glass. I also loved the texture of the felt so I'm going to play with fabric backgrounds in future tests.



No comments:

Post a Comment