Wednesday 18 September 2013

Messy 1

Link to Vimeo Version: https://vimeo.com/74817785

This week I decided to explore the materials that I'm interested in working with for the rest of the semester. As this is just a material exploration, there is no thematic relevance to my future works... unless I make a film about lipstick. In that case you may refer back to this post and tell me I was wrong.

Materials:
transparent cel sheet
oil pastels
plasticine

I taped down the cel at a shooting station and explored the materials under the camera while learning how to use many of the features on Dragonframe.


I also edited the sound effects together ahead of time so that I was using the sound to inform the direction of the animation. This led to a bit of thumbnail and x-sheet planning of course.

Messy 1 Outcomes:

I was particularly impressed with the way the oil pastels could be applied on the cel. I almost wish the cel had just a bit more texture to really catch the first coat of oil pastel and thus muddy the colours together more while the work progresses. I might try sanding the top layer of the cel in the next experiment to see how it holds the material.

The plasticine was so transformative and I found it to be most striking when I was collapsing forms entirely by pinching and pulling the material. I may move away from plasticine and focus more on the oil pastels from this point forward.

Here's my list of learned things that I wrote in my sketchbook during my experience:
clean your hands
tools are important
manipulate the non-moving parts
trust intuition









No comments:

Post a Comment