Wednesday 18 September 2013

Experimental Itinerary


This illustration is meant to symbolize my tentative route through the Experimental Animation course at Emily Carr this semester. I had two considerations while I created this:
Ideas/Themes - nature, architecture, non-figurative
Methods/Techniques - texture, plasticine, paint, cut paper, ink

Now I'm not exactly happy with the outcome of this illustration. I don't think it is the greatest approximation of what I would like to do as an artist this semester, but creating this was a part of my process while I started thinking about the experimental course so it ultimately deserves a post. Documenting process is what this blog is all about so there's no better way to kick it off than with something that I would regard as a 'disappointing artistic stepping stone'. 
To get a better idea of what I would like to do with my animation this term here are a couple of artists that inspire me while creating:

http://www.tilbyforbis.com
An animation duo from Emily Carr, their short film Wild Life is an inspiration because of their painterly technique and focus on the Canadian Prairies.
http://birdboxstudio.com
This a studio run out of London, UK. The energy of their animation is just absolutely entertaining. I find myself watching their shorts over and over again and never getting bored.
http://www.mikeyplease.co.uk
A graduate of London's Royal College of Art, his short films are beautiful. The visual combination of paper cutting and well executed animated movement is inspiring.


No comments:

Post a Comment