Thursday 26 September 2013

Messy 2






This is my second animation messy experiment. I decided to pursue the oil pastels in a larger format to see how different methods of animating would affect the background. I tried animating a white figure, animating a black figure, lighting the piece from the top and from beneath. I also tried motion tests where I scratched away at the oil pastel with my finger to reveal colored paper placed beneath.

Materials:
large sheet of acetate
oil pastels
white and black paper


Things I Learned:

My hand smudged the piece as I was working (I need to be very careful about where I touch the image in general, and laying down paper to protect the non-animated parts is essential)
My animation doesn't fit the environment (I need to plan out the animation ahead of time to get a cleaner look in the finished piece)

Outcomes:
I wasn't happy with how this piece turned out. I think there was a potential in the work that I missed entirely with my tests. I think I need to work more with the background and integrate moving parts into the scenery and have characters actually negotiate the environment. I plan to attempt this method again but with narrative and sound informing the direction of the animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment